Re: [opensuse] Remove all kde code from s11
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:04:59 +0100
On Sunday 25 January 2009 16:45:48 Dave Feustel wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:35:27PM +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Sunday 25 January 2009 14:59:49 Dave Feustel wrote:
Thanks for the howto! I have been running Fedora 9 with all kde code
removed and Fedora 9 runs 'better' for me that way. I want to try
running S11 the same way and see if I get the same effect.
(This is possible for me since I mainly run xterm, firefox, and vim).

This must be a placebo effect. If you don't start a program, it can't
possibly have any effect on your system, other than consuming disk space

The effect that I have noted on Fedora is definitely not placebo, but
that effect may have no connection with the presence/absence of kde.
That's one reason why I wanted to try running S11 without kde.

I removed all of kde3 and noticed that a lot of software was downloaded
during the removal process. OpenOffice 2.4 components were downloaded
and I got a bunch of errors fro OO 2.4 when I ran it after removing kde3
stuff. Still wondering why all the stuff was downloaded.

Could be that you have non-standard repositories added, perhaps? Things were
pulled in through dependencies which weren't there before?!

Hard to say without knowing what it was that got installed.

And no KDE components would be started by any of those three programs.

What I failed to mention before is that Konqueror had been my default
browser until I discovered NoScript plugin for Firefox and began using
Firefox 100% of the time as my browser.

Ah, well, konqueror does have several drawbacks as a web browser, so switching
to firefox would make a difference. But you don't have to uninstall kde just
to do that

Anders