Re: [opensuse] Please! Let Me Double-Click!
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 01:01:58 +1100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Sunday, 2009-01-25 at 23:22 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

Rajko M. wrote:

All after that is showcase of mutual non-understanding.
Additional comments taking one side as correct doesn't help.
IMHO, the best is to let this episode collect dust in archives.

While I agree with the general thrust of your last paragraph, there is
one aspect of this which has to mentioned - as I have already mentioned
in other posts over time, namely that people who do not have English as
their first language -- and you must remember that this list *is*
specifically aimed at the English speaking - that such people using this
forum should be careful about what they say and how they say it.

Hum!

I must disagree.

I can't consider this list specifically aimed to the English speaking
people, but to them and to the people who are not English speaking
people, but who use English as a medium to communicate with other
people that have a different language than their own - be it English,
French, Russian, Chinese... English is used as an international
exchange language, by others and by the Linux community. It could be
any other another language. It could be Esperanto, or the previous
interchange language, French. But it is not.

Exactly, it is not French or Russian or Chinese or Esperanto -- but
English is the language/medium which is used in this forum.....

Thus I can not accept this list to be claimed to be "owned" by English
only speakers.

.......and I do not, nor will claim, that it is a forum owned by English
only speaking people.

And in the same way that I have to accept that domestic USA issues pop
in here (they form the majority of users here, probably), you have to
accept and make an effort to communicate with people that don't write
correct English. We all have, both English speaking and non English
speaking people.

No argument with this as I indicate below.

I am *not* saying that those who do have English as their first language
are *perfect* at its use - and I am one of them (even though my first
languages were Russian/Mandarin/English, in that mix); and it is often
quite challenging to read and understand what is stated. Nor am I
stating that people who don't have English as their first language
should not post here- far from it. However, if I spoke/wrote a little
bit of Urdu I would not enter into a slinging match with someone in a
forum predominantly used by Urdu speaking people.

To give a small example of what someone who is supposed to have compete
control over *English* because s/he is a journalist, here is something I
read recently locally, "The ******* was charged with ***** the
[person], who cannot be named, just before Christmas."

What does this sentence actually mean?

It is usually considered that USA journalists use English differently,
specially on the headlines. I can't often understand them.

I wouldn't really worry about this: Dubya had problems with the language
big time :-D .

Was "the [person], who cannot be named, "****" "just before Christmas"?

Or was "The ******" "charged" "just before Christmas" "with *********
the [person]"?

In reality, the sentence, to convey the exact situation and without any
ambiguity should have been written by the journo, or at least amended by
the editor, to read, "The ***** was charged just before Christmas with
***** the [person], who cannot be named."

Right. So, if some person writes something that we don't understand,
we can ask that person to explain again, or just ignore it if we are
busy or don't feel too kind at the moment >:-)

'Exactimo' (or whatever the expression is), but not get into a slinging
match.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to
try. If I mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce