Re: [opensuse] RFC: Tabbed Browsing for Packages
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:00:06 +1030
On Sunday 25 January 2009 02:57:35 Clayton wrote:

[...]
There are quite a few improvements I'd like to see....
- remember the column widths when I resize them
- do not auto-close after installing some software (or make it
configurable). I never add all the software I want in one go
- add a view that shows ONLY the packages that can/need to be updated
- add an easy to find and clear installation summary view

I completely agree. Borrowing from a piece of software used for doing live
configuration changes for an industrial video matrix switcher, I think it
would also be good if Yast2 was changed to use an sql backend (e.g. sqlite or
mysql-e).

Now, before anyone jumps, hear me out. I'm not suggesting that the whole
package management system be converted to sql, just the software management
application. How would this work? On startup Yast2 Software Management would
read the respository data and insert it into an (appropriately optimised) sql
database. Queries/views would then be constructed as sql queries (invisible
to the user, unless one wanted to do a user-defined view) which would make
creating new views/queries very simple e.g. "select all from * where
installed_version <> available version and installed version is not null"
should show only installed packages that have upgrades (or downgrades)
available.

On shutdown the (modified) data from the sql database would be rewritten back
to the repository cache files. If the right database engine is used and the
database is appropriately designed I think there would be minimal impact on
performance (in fact it may even be slightly improved).

Database triggers could also be used to keep the repository cache files up-to-
date in the background or to update other views that are (currently hidden) in
other tabs.

I think tabs are a great idea... have a tab with a constantly updated
installation summary (for example). I can see tabs being more user
friendly... as long as the concerns raised in the blog entry are
thought about.. like tab clutter... ability to close tabs... ability
to opne specific tabs.. remember which tabs are preferred so that next
time it's opened, the same tabs are shown and so on.

C.

Agreed. It would all help to make the system even more usable.

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx