Re: [opensuse] linux in multiboot
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:05:24 -0600
I would like to try 64bit Linux in a multiboot configuration, while
still keeping my 32bit installation. I would make another LVM partition
and share /boot, /home and swap. I could also run various other Linux
distributions (Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo are on my list).

This is what I would do.

Main boot partition: grub and openSUSE boot files, basic text mode
installation for the rescue actions.

Other systems use their own /boot and you tell them not to install bootloader.
After that, edit main grub menu.lst in md0 manually and add new installation.

The advantage is that symlinks vmlinuz and initrd are not changed to last
installed kernel and initrd. Disadvantage is that you would not see any bugs
in bootloader installation, except those that ignore "do not install boot
loader".

--
Regards, Rajko