Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Jerry Houston <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:35:29 -0800
On Saturday 24 January 2009 08:06:10 Randall R Schulz wrote:

My point was simply to respond to the point about swapping by saying
that bigger programs will have an increased probability of swapping on
any given hardware configuration (amount of RAM) and every single
program will be bigger when compiled for and run on a 64-bit
architecture. And it's not just the code, it's also the data that are
inflated on a 64-bit model.

I've been around long enough to clearly remember the same arguments that were
made in favor of 8-bit systems when 16-bit systems were new, and 16-bit systems
when 32-bit systems were new. There are undoubtedly specific applications
today that will run better on a 32-bit system.

However, few computers specifically target a single such application. We
expect ours to be able to run whatever we decide to put on it, today or next
year, or even three or four years from now.

I think that makes a very compelling argument for exploiting the 64-bit
capability that's been available in most of our processors for a good many
years now. So long that Microsoft won't be releasing any new 32-bit operating
systems beyond Server 2008.

RAM and disk storage are so relatively cheap these days, that it hardly matters
if an operating system needs a little more of either one in order to run
smoothly. However, on obsolete hardware, a 32-bit operating system - such as
it was designed for - might be the only viable option.