Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:13:43 -0600
My thinking was "64 has to be better than 32", if nothing else then
because it's 64-bit OS/software on a 64-bit CPU.  Well, I was wrong.
Because of the increase in memory-usage with 64-bit openSUSE, each
server ended upn being able to handle less load running 64bit than
32bit.

Are you saying I should now downgrade my 11.1 installation to the 32-bit
version? I waited *forever* to upgrade my increasingly cranky previous
system and when I took the plunge, I installed the 'native' 64-bit flavor!

If you use programs that work with large data sets, which on desktop are video
or images, or web pages with a lot of images that has to be decompressed, or
flash videos from YouTube, you can see substantial improvement.

I use GIMP and images are not really huge (about 2048x1536 from 3M pixel
camera), and any complex effect is applied much faster then on 32 bit. If it
would be possible to put whole image in CPU cache it would 2x faster.

The other example mentioned by Larry, is full screen YouTube videos that run
smoother.

There are other conditions that apply, like size of RAM, hard disk speed, to
final effective speed. For instance, Per example where he needed a bit more
RAM, otherwise system will start to swap and performance went down.

The decisive factor for or against 64 bit is your usage of the computer, and
your hardware configuration.

--
Regards, Rajko