Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:41:18 +0100
Carl Hartung wrote:

I migrated a number of servers to 64bit about 12 months ago, and then
migrated them back to 32bit some 9-10 months later.  These servers
were all the same - AMD 64bit, 2Gb RAM.
My thinking was "64 has to be better than 32", if nothing else then
because it's 64-bit OS/software on a 64-bit CPU.  Well, I was wrong.
Because of the increase in memory-usage with 64-bit openSUSE, each
server ended upn being able to handle less load running 64bit than
32bit.

Are you saying I should now downgrade my 11.1 installation to the
32-bit version? I waited *forever* to upgrade my increasingly cranky
previous system and when I took the plunge, I installed the 'native'
64-bit flavor!

No, whether you're better off with 32bit or 64bit depends entirely on
your system and your software. A heavily loaded database server with
32Gb of memory will no doubt be better off with a 64bit OS and apps.
My servers only have 2Gb memory each, and because I'm running several
hundred processes on each server, I ended up having room for less when
everything was 64bit.

--
/Per Jessen, Zürich