Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:07:01 +0100
Dave Plater wrote:

i've been testing and noting bugs since 10.3 and at 11.1 64 bit is
more stable than 32 bit.
Regards
Dave P

Which might be only indicative of more people reporting more problems on
the 32-bit versions. I know I would as I only run the 32-bit version
now.

Randall Schulz said it very eloquently:

"The question is in fact whether there's any reason to use a 64-bit OS."

I migrated a number of servers to 64bit about 12 months ago, and then
migrated them back to 32bit some 9-10 months later. These servers were
all the same - AMD 64bit, 2Gb RAM.
My thinking was "64 has to be better than 32", if nothing else then
because it's 64-bit OS/software on a 64-bit CPU. Well, I was wrong.
Because of the increase in memory-usage with 64-bit openSUSE, each
server ended upn being able to handle less load running 64bit than
32bit.

/Per

--
/Per Jessen, Zürich