Re: [opensuse] Running X Programs Without HOME Set
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:22:56 +0100
On Friday 23 January 2009 14:13:22 Yusuf Caglar AKYUZ wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to run X applications without $HOME is set in the
environment.

Why would you want to do that?

However I receive "No protocol specified" error. I mean:

$unset HOME
$konsole

throws the error(I keep DISPLAY variable as is). How can I overcome this?

export XAUTHORITY=$HOME/.Xauthority
unset HOME

I think you will have problems running KDE programs though, since they expect
to find a KDE_HOME somewhere, and if HOME isn't set, they will try to use /.kde
(or /.kde4), which is unlikely to work.

Anders