Re: [opensuse] Yast Seg Faulting on Fresh 11.0 i386 Install
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:33:28 +0100
On Donnerstag, 22. Januar 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
        I installed 11.0 on a laptop yesterday, install went fine. Yast was
fine to begin with. Last night, I did an "update all if newer version
available" from within yast and it completed fine. Now, however, Yast
segfaults repeatedly.

That is to be expected if you do this kind of brute-force update.

The online update workflow checks for updates to the update stack first,
installs them, then restarts itself, and then continues to update other
packages. You just found out the hard way why this is so.

How to recover from this (no warranty, no support, just trying to be helpful,
use at your own risk):

- figure out what yast2, zypp and satsolver packages you have installed and
save that to a temp file:

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}\n" | egrep '(^yast2)|zypp|satsolv'
/tmp/y2-pkg

- Insert your installation CD/DVD and downgrade those packages to the
CD/DVD versions. You need root privileges that, of course:

cd /media/... (wherever those packages are)
rpm -Uhv --force `cat /tmp/y2-pkg`

If rpm complains about dependendencies, you might need to downgrade the package
about which it complains, too. That's why I'd recommend to avoid --nodeps in
the
above rpm call.

Good luck!
--