[opensuse] Some questions about creating live usb stick using KIWI
  • From: Qian Feng <fengqian83@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:32:46 +0800
Hi guys,
I had been trying to use kiwi to create live usb sticks. I succeeded
in several ways but still have some questions about the process.

1) The "/usr/share/kiwi/image" (boot image desc path) seems to be
hard-coded in kiwi (right?), so if I decide to use my own version
instead of the downloadable "kiwi-desc-usbboot" package, I must put
my own version in this directory, like /usr/share/kiwi/image/usbboot/
myowndesc-11.0 ...?

2) Or installation of the "kiwi-desc-usbboot" package is a must?

3) My system image config.xml is based on the one in the
"kiwi-config-opensuse-gnome" package ( by StephenKulow@novell ). For
some reason I use ext3, not squashfs. And I want the image created
small enough to fit into certain usb stick (e.g. 2GB) while having a
certain set of functions (xwindow, network, etc). Is there an
effective method to decide which packages should be deleted from the
config.xml and which ones should stay? I managed to reduce the image
size to around 1.6GB in a modify-and-test way. I wonder if there are
some principles or shortcuts to make it less time-consuming.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Fred