Re: [opensuse] Firefox not starting after 11.1 install
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:40:01 +1100
Dave Plater wrote:

Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Thursday January 22 2009, Dave Plater wrote:

Thanks all, I couldn't find the lockfile but deleting the entire
contents of the ~/.mozilla/firefox directory and logging out and in
again sorted it out. Now all I have to do is retrieve my bookmarks
from backup.

In the future, just move the directory away from the place that makes it
special, don't actually eradicate it!

Regards
Dave P

Randall Schulz

I think firefox was running when I backed up the home directory. I'm
going to try restoring it with firefox running and see what happens.
Regards
Dave P

Success, I restored ~/.mozilla/firefox with firefox running and I've got
all my addons, bookmarks etc restored as well after restarting firefox.
The moral of the story :- don't backup home directory with firefox running.
Regards
Dave P

Sorry, but I see nothing wrong with making a backup of /home with
firefox running.

The only thing which doing so does - and you have been told/warned about
this in other posts - is that the backup will contain (shown in red
colour if you use mc to look inside the directory) the file "!lock" in
~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxxx.default which you need to delete otherwise
firefox cannot be activated again because it thinks that a copy is
already running. Same thing will happen to Thunderbird if that is being
used.

In any case, you do not restore ~/.mozilla/firefox but simply ~/.mozilla
because it is this directory which contains *all* of the firefox profile
details (for a particular user).

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the