[opensuse] Please help - scratchy noise (and other issues) with 82801 ICH9
  • From: "Andrei Verovski (aka MacGuru)" <andreil1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:25:18 +0200
Hi !

I have the same issue with both 11.0 (32 bit) and 11.1 (64 bit) on my Quad
Core 2.4 GHz, Gigabyte P35DS4 m/b, 4 GB RAM. and built-in 82801 ICH9 sound
device.

1) With both fresh 11.0 (32 bit) and 11.1 (64 bit) I have scratchy noise
coming from the sound-out. Its quite noticeable and is well above usual hum
generated by audio devices. With Windows everything works just fine.

2) Installing sound blaster SBLive 5.1 partially solves this problem, noise
level is lower (scratching almost gone) but still above normal level
(comparing to iPod for example at the same output signal level).

This looks like driver and not hardware/cabling issue.

3) Installing 11.1 64-bit (fresh install, not upgrade) renders some other
sound troubles apart from excess noise level. Pushing "Play Test Sound"
button in YaST produces nothing, yet sound works, I can play music/films with
amarok, VLC, Kaffeine. However, Flash player is silent as dead.

Anyone can help me to identify source of these problems?

Thanks in advance.