Re: [opensuse] Changing from 32 bit to 64 bit
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:04:59 -0800

Already on 64 bit, all mail intact, only problem I had was I did the
backup as root and had to change all the files owners.
Regards
Dave P

Check out the "-a" (a composite option implying three other options) of
the "cp" command. Also, tar works well for one-off archives / backups
and will record full user, group and mode information which will be
restored if the resulting archive is extracted by root (only root can
change the owner or group of a file).

There are details (as ever) that behoove you to read the manual or info
pages for either of these commands when being used for these slightly
less typical cases. E.g., tar will ordinarily record user and group
_names_, not IDs. If those names do not exist when and where the
archive will be extracted, the option that causes it to use numeric IDs
instead (--numeric-owner) may be a better choice (but only if the same
user and group name-to-ID assignments will eventually be established in
the extraction environment).

Randall Schulz