Re: [opensuse] Yast Seg Faulting on Fresh 11.0 i386 Install
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:06:44 -0600
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 22 January 2009 21:53:37 David C. Rankin wrote:
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 22 January 2009 20:47:12 David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

I installed 11.0 on a laptop yesterday, install went fine. Yast was
fine to begin with. Last night, I did an "update all if newer version
available" from within yast and it completed fine. Now, however, Yast
segfaults repeatedly.
Which repositories did you have active when you did this?

If you update some core library to an incompatible version, you are going
to get segfaults

Anders
Anders,

I have the same repos installed that I have on my other 11.0 laptop with
no problems. The repos are all buildservice 11.0 repos:

Yes, indeed, you seem to have just about all of them, including two separate
qt repos. This makes it very tricky to track down which update caused the
problem.

In general, I think the idea behind repositories is that you enable one or
two
that you need, not all of them. Some of them might even be mutually
incompatible.

If you enable core files (ulimit -c unlimited) and then run yast2 from the
same shell where you set the ulimit, you should get a core which could be
analysed.

But my instinct says it is one of the updates you installed. It could be a
bug
in one of them, or it could be that you have two libraries from two separate
repositories which are incompatible with each other.

Anders

Here is another tidbit, and I don't think it is yast. I have 2 11.0
laptops
sitting right next to each other. I dumped the yast packages from each with:

rpm -qa | grep yast | sort > $hostname-yast

Then I did a diff on both files. They are identical

On my 11.0 x86_64 box - there are no problems yast works perfectly

On my 11.0 i586 box - Yast bombs with the error above.

Now all of yast isn't crashing, it is only the application I'm trying
to run
that's crashing (repositories, s/w management, etc.) when the crash occurs, the
xmessage appears, but the main yast gui windows remains and I can choose
another app. The crash doesn't occur immediately. If I choose repositories,
then my list of repositories is displayed, but it I choose add -- whamo the
xmessage appears and the repositories app is gone.

Here is a screenshot of what I see after the crash.

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/yast/yast-segfault.jpg

I also opened a terminal and set ulimit -c unlimited as root and then
called
yast2. I made it crash twice with software management and repositories and the
only output I received was:

[15:54 zephyr/home/david] # yast2
Command: /sbin/yast2 sw_single &
Command: /sbin/yast2 inst_source &
[15:58 zephyr/home/david] #

Everything else I have tried with the new install works great. Zypper
works
great, this is yast or something yast relies on.

What other tests can I perform to help narrow it down?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC