[opensuse] Re: Recomended display resolution/DPI
  • From: Xavier Callejas <xavier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:46:48 -0600

Thank you all for the time.

With 96 dpi looks very smooth, but my eyes are starting to hurt, so I will
try 120 dpi for a wile.

Thanks again.

Felix Miata wrote:

On 2009/01/21 22:14 (GMT-0600) Xavier Callejas composed:

My laptop has a 15.4" wide screen, with a resolution of 1680x1050.

The system says that my current resolution is 129x129 dpi

128.6 actually, but X rounds to integers.

but, I have seen that the most common dpi is 96.

96 is a tradition started by Windows back at least as far as 1995.

It's OK that my system has 129 dpi?

Theoretically, absolutely yes. In practice, more likely no than yes, but
without a clear winner.

Witch resolutions is better, 96, 120, or 129?

That depends on your eyes and personal preference. If you have excellent
eyes, likely you'll be happiest at 96. Those with weaker eyes probably
will prefer 120 or 129.

If you often work with objects that should be represented at life size on
the screen, you'll want the most accurate DPI possible, 129 in your case.

Because 96 is so widespread as a standard, objects other than text are
often inappropriately sized if anything other than 96 is used. When that's
the case, it's a failing of the programmer(s) responsible, but that makes
it no less a problem for users, mostly for those running more than 96
rather than less.

Text seems to be more consistent from one size to the next when DPI is a
multiple of 12, so 120 is often preferable to 129 to people sensitive to
text behavior and quality.

Forcing DPI up or down from the display's actual PPI is a way of sizing
everything up or down to suit personal taste or local environment. For
example, if you use multiple displays at once, likely your average
distance from them is above average, so you can force DPI up to enlarge
things to compensate.

I'm running openSUSE 11.1