Re: [opensuse] MySQL Plugins - Public Opinion
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:57:45 -0600
On Thursday 2009 January 22 03:10:14 Michal Hrusecky wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. - 13:45 21.01.09 wrote:
On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx> wrote

about '[opensuse] MySQL Plugins - Public Opinion':
Packaging possibilities:

1) Make it as much modular as it is possible. Everything what can be
build as a module will be build as a module and let the people choose
what they really want.

I vote here. Specifically, introduce mysql-core and a mysql-$plugin for
each plugin. Have the mysql package bring in -core and all -${plugin}s
that are currently in 5.0. Have mysql-full bring in -core and
all -${plugin}s that are packaged, as long as no -$plugin conflicts with a
different one. Eventually, transition to the mysql package bringing
in -core and popular/expected plugins -- basically tuned toward "the
average user" instead of "exactly what 5.0 users expect".

Thank you for voting. If I understand correctly you are suggesting that
mysql package will be virtual package which will install mysql-core
which will be bare MySQL without any plugins and all usual myslq-*-plugin
packages... This is certainly interesting idea.

I'm not sure about the terminology, being most familiar with Debian
packaging. "Over there", a virtual package is a package name that is
Provided by one or more real packages that does not actually exist, and
that's not what I'm suggesting. "Over there", a meta-package is empty or
nearly empty package that mainly exists to pull in other packages through its
Depends, Recommends, and Suggests. I am suggesting a mysql-5.1 meta-package
to ease the transition for people using the mysql-5.0 (real) package, while
also moving forwards with modular (real) packages: mysql-core-5.1 and
mysql-${plugin_api}-foo-plugin-${plugin_version}.

I hope that was clearer.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))