Re: [opensuse] Firefox not starting after 11.1 install
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:54:31 -0800
On Thursday January 22 2009, Dave Plater wrote:
Hi, I've just installed 11.1 64 bit and cannot start firefox as user,
I get a message saying firefox is already running but ps -AF doesn't
show any instances running. Anybody know whats happening? It starts
as root. Regards

Look in ~/.mozilla/firefox/{Your-Profile-Dir}/ for a symlink
called "lock". That symlink will point to a non-existent file with a
name something like 127.0.0.2:+NNNNN where the NNNNN is a PID. If
firefox died leaving this lock behind and there happens to be a process
with that ID, Firefox will think you're trying to launch it anew while
it is still running.

Remove that "lock" symlink and try starting Firefox again.

Dave P

Randall Schulz