Re: [opensuse] Changing from 32 bit to 64 bit
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:53:23 +0200
James Knott wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:

On 01/22/2009 06:40 PM, Dave Plater wrote:

Hi, I'm about to reinstall 11.1 in 64 bit version, are there any known
problems ie. if I backup my home will I still have my emails etc when I
restore it to 64 bit 11.1?
Regards
Dave P

Yes. If you have home on a separate partition, it should work without
needing to restore. If you don't have home on a separate partition, I
would make it, copy the stuff over, change to using it and verify it all
worked, then reinstall.

In some cases, you have to protect more than /home. For example, I run
an imap server, which has it's own directory under /var. To make things
easier, I symlink that directory to one on my home partition, which is
located on a removable drive. So, when I install a new SUSE version, I
just pull that drive first and then when done, put it back and create
the necessary symlinks.

I backup home, root and etc onto a separate partition , I haven't any
mission critical stuff.
Regards
Dave P