Re: [opensuse] Re: How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:51:14 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, January 22, 2009 03:09, Joachim Schrod wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Amedee Van Gasse (amedee@xxxxxxxxx) [20090118 15:19]:
Rodney Baker schreef:

From the command line, as root, zypper clean will remove all
downloaded rpms.

According to our zypper developer its all or nothing with the current
version. And it's not clear if there ever will be a way to do so. He has
yet
to see plausible use cases for a package cache.

Then please give him mine:

I share package cache and repository meta infos via NFS for several
systems that are updated in sync; to prevent them all downloading
the same files again and again. There's no need to set up an own
package repository for that use case, a changed zypp.conf and an
NFS mount is all that's needed.

I don't do automatic updates, this would disturb operations too
much -- these are workstations where people are logged in for weeks
or months, not private home systems that get turned off at night.
Instead I do nightly checks and prefetch to-be-updated packages.
The nightly check sends an email to a sysadmin. After a quick
control if the update must be managed manually (e.g., kernel
updates, libc updates, X server updates, and such) I have a command
that does the update on all systems.

Please note that this is actually a reimplementation of THE
standard Debian update check functionality: apticron. apticron is
actually better than my solution because it includes package
changelogs in the email and thus eases the decision process how
important the update is. And apticron is one piece of Debian's
update management that I miss sorely on openSUSE.

Does it surprise you that until 6 months ago I used Ubuntu on the desktop,
and that I still use Debian on my servers?