Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11.1 on PS3
  • From: Stefan Assmann <sassmann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:20:53 +0100
John Lange wrote:
On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 10:54 +0100, Stefan Assmann wrote:
John Lange wrote:
[.. snip general comments about Linux on the PS3 ..]

I've been playing with Linux on the PS3 for some time and I think I can
echo the general comments in this thread... It's pretty underwhelming.
Thanks for testing and giving feedback. It's really appreciated.

You're welcome but really the thanks should mostly go to the people who
are working on this at the code level. Even though so far for me the
result hasn't been that productive, I really do appreciate the time
people put into these things.

YaST should prefer ethernet over wifi if there's a cable connected. If
that's not the case feel free to open a bug for it.

There was a cable plugged in the whole time and it didn't configure eth0
for me. I'll probably try repeating the process and if it happens again
I'll file a bug report.

That would be very helpful.

- The PS3 does not have the new ps3vram device which allows the system
to make use of the unused RAM from the video device.
Sorry, you are mistaken. The ps3vram is used by default in 11.1
and you can check that it works by looking at /proc/swaps. You'll see an
entry with /dev/mtdblock0.

Could it be that because I had previously installed OpenSUSE, the
installer saw a swap partition on the disk and used it by default?

Yes that's quite possible. However swap spaces have priorities assigned
and at the moment we solved this by assigning higher priority to the
ps3vram swap. Remember ps3vram swap is still limited and by running one
of the more memory consuming desktops it will still have to swap to your
hdd.

It is definitely using disk for swap at the moment so something went
astray.

The ps3vram device might be there (I'm not near the system at the
moment). I was looking for /dev/ps3vram so I'll go back and look
for /dev/mtdblock0 instead.

I was under the impression it didn't make it into the kernel until
2.6.29 so I probably jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I put some efforts into having ps3vram in our 2.6.27 kernel. So far it
runs smooth here. It should be pretty close to what's upstream.

BuildService for ppc is up at powerpc.opensuse.org. :)

Heh. Thanks but that isn't going to help with MPlayer or sdlmame.

There's still PackMan.

-
John Lange
www.johnlange.ca

Stefan

--
Stefan Assmann | SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Software Engineer | Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg