Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:07:40 +0100
The question is, in fact, whether there's any reason to use a 64-bit OS.
Do you have even one application that requires the address space
afforded by the x86_64 architecture?

If not, don't do it.

I keep seeing this advice given, but have yet to see a real reason for
it. Java and Flash work on my 10.3, 11.0 and 11.1 64bit systems, so
that's not an issue. I can watch and listen to a variety of media, so
it's not that. I haven't noticed any difference in speed between 32bit
and 64bit systems on the same hardware.

So, given that I don't have a problem yet you're saying not to do it,
I'm really curious as to just what issue(s) you found while running a
64bit OS?

I was also one of the ones who said don´t do it. After following the
recent discussions here, I decided to give it a try... and I have had
zero problems. YAST is intelligent enough to handle sorting out the
libraries as needed, and everything I´ve installed has simply worked.

As for performance... I have noticed a few improvements here and
there.. one in particular is that I am able to play online videos...
eg YouTube full screen now with no lag or stuttering. The sole
difference being I have a 64bit install now. I don´t know what the
reason is behind the difference... but this one in particular is VERY
visible. In my 32bit install any YouTube or similar video would play
fine in its little confined window, but if I full screened it, the
frame rate would drop to 1 or 2 fps. This happened even after
recompiling my kernel for multimedia optimizations. After moving to
64bit, the exact same videos would play smooth at full screen even
before recompiling my 64bitkernel.

I cant speak for ATI since I avoid that video card as much as
possible, but by nVidia drivers work perfectly as well. The nVidia
binaries are 64bit aware, and automatically take care of 32bit mode
compatibility.

Gaming in Cedega or Wine is also fine... no issues at all.

So... 64bit is a total success on my setup. I will be continuing to
use it on all my computers going forward, and recommending it to the
people I support/help out with Linux.

C.