Re: [opensuse] Recomended display resolution/DPI
  • From: Xavier Callejas <xavier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:16:16 -0600
El Wednesday 21 January 2009 22:42:45 Philip Dowie escribió:
evidently you've only met Windows systems, where the DPI doesn't change..
X uses the DPI to decide how many pixels to use for fonts and icons and
such.  The DPI of your system is a function of the number of pixels in your
display and the physical size of the display.

This means for Windows systems where 96dpi is assumed, things look smaller
than they should when the DPI is actually higher.

(and the theory/rumor is that improvements in display technology are being
held back by the lack of support for higher DPIs in the OS that has largest
market share - don't take it from me though, could be FUD)...

Thank you.

I'm a KDE user for years.

This question came to me after use recently a openSUSE GNOME Live CD.

With KDE, the very first session login the fonts looks to big, so I change the
theri size in kcontrol (now systemsettings).

But with this GNOME live CD, the fonts of size 10p, looks as the same size
that the fonts of size 8p in my KDE installed desktop, os I guess that GNOME
was forcing 96 dpi.

So I guess GNOME by default force to use 96dpi, and KDE use the dpi of the
system by default (but I can change this if I want, but what I need to know is
if I should want to change it).

--
Xavier Callejas