Re: [opensuse] Recomended display resolution/DPI
  • From: "Markus Koßmann" <mkossmann_ml1@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:11:23 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:14:56 -0600
Von: Xavier Callejas <xavier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [opensuse] Recomended display resolution/DPI

Hi,

My laptop has a 15.4" wide screen, with a resolution of 1680x1050.

The system says that my current resolution is 129x129 dpi

but, I have seen that the most common dpi is 96.

It's OK that my system has 129 dpi?
Well you can't change that physical DPI numbers. It's determined by the screen
size of 15,4 " and the resolution of 1680 dots x1050 dots . Running a digital
display not using its physical resolution is IMHO not a good idea.

Witch resolutions is better, 96, 120, or 129?
Well, that depends on your eyes and how good the system handles different
resolutions . If the system measures the size of its graphics elements in
pixels and doesn't scale that size depending on physical resolution these
elements may become to small for your eyes with higher DPI numbers.

However if the system scales the size in pixels depending on resolution the
higher resolution is better.