Re: [opensuse] Recomended display resolution/DPI
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:08:50 -0500
On 2009/01/21 22:14 (GMT-0600) Xavier Callejas composed:

My laptop has a 15.4" wide screen, with a resolution of 1680x1050.

The system says that my current resolution is 129x129 dpi

128.6 actually, but X rounds to integers.

but, I have seen that the most common dpi is 96.

96 is a tradition started by Windows back at least as far as 1995.

It's OK that my system has 129 dpi?

Theoretically, absolutely yes. In practice, more likely no than yes, but
without a clear winner.

Witch resolutions is better, 96, 120, or 129?

That depends on your eyes and personal preference. If you have excellent
eyes, likely you'll be happiest at 96. Those with weaker eyes probably will
prefer 120 or 129.

If you often work with objects that should be represented at life size on the
screen, you'll want the most accurate DPI possible, 129 in your case.

Because 96 is so widespread as a standard, objects other than text are often
inappropriately sized if anything other than 96 is used. When that's the
case, it's a failing of the programmer(s) responsible, but that makes it no
less a problem for users, mostly for those running more than 96 rather than
less.

Text seems to be more consistent from one size to the next when DPI is a
multiple of 12, so 120 is often preferable to 129 to people sensitive to text
behavior and quality.

Forcing DPI up or down from the display's actual PPI is a way of sizing
everything up or down to suit personal taste or local environment. For
example, if you use multiple displays at once, likely your average distance
from them is above average, so you can force DPI up to enlarge things to
compensate.

I'm running openSUSE 11.1
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/