Re: [opensuse] a proprietary dvd don't play with xine, but OK with vlc
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:26:34 +1100
Tamas Sarga wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

Use k9copy - set to DVD size 8.0GB - and transfer the DVD to a folder on
your harddrive; then use kaffeine (File>Open Directory) to open the
directory where the copy of the DVD is sitting (it'll be something like
/Knight/dvd).

If k9copy has a hernia trying to copy the DVD then there is some
hanky-panky going on with the (original) DVD in which case you could
then try and see if it will play through your DVD burner - assuming that
you have one; the burner may be able to read track/s which the CDROM/DVD
player isn't able to access.

Ciao.

Hi,

I tried to copy the dvd with k9copy, but it produced the same symptom as
xine, so I created an image by k3b. But the image can not be played with
xine, with kaffeine, with mplayer nor with vlc. So everything goes wrong
with the image, but the disc can be played with vlc.
I think this is not a bug of xine, or mplayer rather an unstandard copy
protection. What do you think?
K3b didn't complain about anything while created the image.

[pruned]

You don't need to use k3 to just copy a disc to the harddrive - you can
use dolphin, or konqueror (pre 11.1) or midnight commander (mc). The
disc is, afterall, only a collection of files which are contained in a
directory called VIDEO_TS. (There may also be a directory AUDIO_TS but
this is always empty - and quite often isn't even there, only the
video_ts directory appears on the disc.)

On the other hand, k9 is needed if the disc has been encoded and you
want to be able to play a DVD made to only play in,say, Europe in the
country you reside in. (BTW, your CDROM and DVDRW has a Regional Setting
and if the Region setting on a DVD does not match that of your
CDROM/DVDRW it won't play. I don't think that there is a problem with
PAL vs NTSC discs but the regional setting is important.)

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to
try. If I mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce