Re: [opensuse] Offline Repository for openSUSE
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:52:19 +0100
Hi,

Aditya Bhiday schrieb:

I am a student from BITS Pilani Goa Campus in India. We have an
appreciable number of openSUSE users in our campus. However, due to
limited bandwidth, it is very difficult for us to download packages
and updates from the internet. Hence, I would like to know if there is
a way to host a local repository in our campus.

For Ubuntu, we had ordered a DVD set containing all the Ubuntu
repositories. We have hosted the content of these DVDs on a local
server, and the server updates its packages from the internet
automatically. Is something similar possible to do for SUSE too?

please check if
http://en.opensuse.org/Network_Installation_Source
suits your requirements.
It's not completely up to date but can give you some hints for the
beginning.
It's also possible to mirror
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/ to your network.
The packages there shouldn't change so no update mechanism needed.

For the online updates you would need to mirror
http://download.opensuse.org/update/ and keep it current by some
automatic updating using one of several methods.

That was the rough overview. I'm pretty sure others will come up with
more details as I can't find recent documents explaining them offhand.

Wolfgang