Re: [opensuse] Apache2 10.3 - 11.0 website displays differently?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:29:41 -0600
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2009/01/20 19:26 (GMT-0600) David C. Rankin composed:

I have my site at 3111skyline that seems to display differently
depending of
whether it is hosted on 10.3 or 11.0. Specifically, all of the element sizes
(fonts, images, divs, etc.) display 10-15% smaller hosted on 10.3 than they
do
on 11.0. The difference is quite dramatic. See:

10.3 server (~170k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/webdev/3111skyline-nemesis.jpg

11.0 server (~170k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/webdev/3111skyline-ecstasy.jpg

I also host the site on my 11.0 laptop for development work and it
displays
just like the 11.0 server above.

All of the config files (default-server.conf, httpd.conf,
httpd.conf.local)
for each of the servers is identical and all of the pages on the servers are
also identical.

Can anyone think of anything in the apache2 configs that would cause
this.

In the mean time, I'll set up another apache server on another 10.3 box
and
confirm the smaller size there.

Christian is right as far as he went. If you want others to be able to
compare http://www.3111skyline.com/ & http://ecstasy.3111skyline.com/ you'll
have to find a way to make them different. Both currently return the same IP
address.

What we may be seeing in your screenshots is Firefox remembering a previously
set non-100% site zoom level for one URL that is inapplicable to the other.
Did you do Ctrl-0 on both before shooting? Did you try loading by IP instead
of URL?

OK,

Let me see if I can't clear things up here. First, the screenshots were
both
taken from the same firefox on my laptop. I just had the nirvana in one tab and
ecstasy in another tab and I took sequential screenshots with ksnapshot.

Felix is right. I have moved ecstasy to port 8084 so now both servers
(nirvana
- port 80, and ecstasy - port 8084) can both be access from the outside.

Both servers have the same copy of all pages on them thanks to
executing rsync
-auv nirvana:/srv/www /srv from ecstasy.

I have taken measurements with kruler to put numbers to the problem. On
nirvana:

http://www.3111skyline.com

The left column is 157 pixels wide, despite the actual image being 165
pixels
wide. On ecstasy:

http://www.3111skyline.com:8084

The left column is 165 pixels wide like it should be. Take a look at
both and
let me know what you see. Just comparing the difference in the number of words
that get displayed on the homepage for each is an indication that something is
amiss.

Also, I have since configured another 10.3 server (i586) and it
displays the
site just like the other 2 11.0 boxes do, so there is something funny on
nirvana (10.3 x86_64).

I don't know, I think I need new glasses, but kruler doesn't lie. I'm
going to
have to investigate Christians md5sum approach, but I can't explain the same
files producing different hashes. Thanks for any help you can give.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC