Re: [opensuse] Re: Problem with popping in audio and stuttering graphics...
  • From: Philipp Thomas <pth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:47:15 +0100
* Basil Chupin (blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx) [20090118 04:37]:

brand.model. Perhaps there could be a module which could be selected by
the user and then used by the kernel to get max. performance without
having to recompile the kernel.

That isn't possible. There is no single place where compiling for a specific
CPU model will speed up the system siginificantly. The speedup comes from
using CPU instructions not present in other models and from reordering
instructions as it fits the given CPU model best. Specially the kernel with
it's hand crafted ASM code will not profit notably from model specific
compilation. (i.e. speedup beyond ~15%).

For example, the default pae kernel installed here has the CPU Family set
to generic 586 and I had to reset it to Athlon when recompiling it.

Do yourself and us the favor and compile the kernel both for the default
i586 and your Athlon and then run your tests and post the numbers. I believe
the difference will not be worth the effort.

Every kernel package increases the work of developers and enlarges the test
matrix. So we'll try to keep the number of kernels as low as possible.

Philipp