Re: [opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:54:12 +0100
Jan Kupec wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Sunday, 2009-01-18 at 14:13 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

I was playing a bit with kdirstat, and I noticed a directory that takes
up a lot of space:
/var/cache/zypper/RPMS
It seems to contain cached versions of rpms that I manually
downloaded&installed, for example VMware server.
I come from Ubuntu, and I still use Debian on my server, so I'm used to
a large package cache. But the Suse way to do things is different, and I
found out that package caching only happens when you explicitly enable
it in /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo. Otherwise the packages are always
downloaded.
What I have not yet found, is the Suse alternative for "aptitude
autoclean" delete only out-of-date package files but keep current ones.
I also would like to delete some of the VMware RPMs, because I have
played a bit with different versions, and they are quite large. How can
I clean up that cache directory? Can I just rm the unwanted files
without any negative repercussions, or what is the official Suse way to
do that?
It's a relatively new feature, but I think you can simply delete the
rpms manually.

Yes, you can.

Automatic cleaning... there is a configuration file that mighjt have
some options for this, would be worth checking.

AFAIK, we don't have anything like automatic removal of cached packages
that are out of date. Yet.

I think that remove out-of-date cached package is not trivial task as
you cache package typical to possibility to reinstall it without
download. So if you try upgrade some package, find problems and want
downgrade you expect that package is still cached and not removed as out
of date.
JR