Re: [opensuse] Re: Fork Burst Every 5 Minutes
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 05:52:40 -0800
On Monday January 19 2009, John Andersen wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:46 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Monday January 19 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed by watching GKrellM that every five minutes there's a
brief burst of about 170 forks within a period of a second or so
on my openSUSE 11.1 system.

Another thing I noticed, owing to having a remote GKrellM display
for my 10.3 box displayed on my 11.1 box, is that _both_ of these
systems exhibit the same phenomenon. Moreover, it is _synchronized_
between the two systems, implying they're both doing this on a
wall-clock schedule (both systems use NTP, of course, so they're
clocks are at most a small fraction of a second disparate).

Does this help suggest a cause?

Randall Schulz
--

Maybe shutdown crond for a while as a test?

I did think of cron. On your suggestion, I ran the test of temporarily
shutting it down and indeed, this prevents the fork burst.

One thing I don't think I've ever been able to do is _find_ all the
crontabs in a SuSE Linux / openSUSE installation.