Re: [opensuse] (OT) which virtual machine that better.
  • From: Adam Jimerson <vendion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:25:23 -0500
On Monday 19 January 2009 09:08:22 pm Jonathan Ervine wrote:
On Tuesday 20 January 2009 00:57:57 Adam Jimerson wrote:
On Sunday 18 January 2009 10:30:29 pm Jonathan Ervine wrote:
You can quite happily run a Xen kernel with an nVidia graphics card.
Using the proprietary nVidia binary blob as a graphics driver won't
work however.

Is there a way to get XEN to use a driver compatible with it, while my
normal Kernel still uses the proprietary driver? This machine is not a
server, but I need to VM windows for school (the program we use won't
work under WINE due to its dependency on .net framework) and I have
played with VMware and VirtualBox and wasn't to happy with them. This
machine has a AMD Athon 64 x2 at 2.3 Ghz with 3 GB or RAM I'm sure it can
handle XEN.

Yes it can handle Xen, no it can't handle Xen + nVidia's proprietary
graphics driver. Perhaps you could ask nVidia? [that's pretty much
rhetorical, as it won't do much good]

As per my previous email, you could look at KVM instead, as that loads as a
kernel module, and doesn't require an altered kernel so the nVidia
proprietary driver can still be used.

Alternatively, you can ask yourself just how important those wobbly windows
really are ....

Jon

Thanks I'll look into KVM, but I'm not even using the composing effects, I
installed the nVidia driver due to poor performance with the driver that was
originally installed iirc it was the open source NV driver.
< Previous Next >