Re: [opensuse] (OT) which virtual machine that better.
  • From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:08:22 +0800
On Tuesday 20 January 2009 00:57:57 Adam Jimerson wrote:
On Sunday 18 January 2009 10:30:29 pm Jonathan Ervine wrote:
You can quite happily run a Xen kernel with an nVidia graphics card.
Using the proprietary nVidia binary blob as a graphics driver won't work
however.

Is there a way to get XEN to use a driver compatible with it, while my
normal Kernel still uses the proprietary driver? This machine is not a
server, but I need to VM windows for school (the program we use won't work
under WINE due to its dependency on .net framework) and I have played with
VMware and VirtualBox and wasn't to happy with them. This machine has a
AMD Athon 64 x2 at 2.3 Ghz with 3 GB or RAM I'm sure it can handle XEN.

Yes it can handle Xen, no it can't handle Xen + nVidia's proprietary graphics
driver. Perhaps you could ask nVidia? [that's pretty much rhetorical, as it
won't do much good]

As per my previous email, you could look at KVM instead, as that loads as a
kernel module, and doesn't require an altered kernel so the nVidia proprietary
driver can still be used.

Alternatively, you can ask yourself just how important those wobbly windows
really are ....

Jon