Re: [opensuse] Fork Burst Every 5 Minutes
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 19:55:22 -0500
* Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> [01-19-09 19:47]:

I've noticed by watching GKrellM that every five minutes there's a brief
burst of about 170 forks within a period of a second or so on my
openSUSE 11.1 system.

I wonder:

1) Does anyone know what this might be?

??

2) How might I learn what process is performing these forks?

you will have to catch it at the right time, and do:

ps -e axfj |less

will capture a tree view of all processes that you can search.

but... you will have to initiate the command at the time the ?forks
are running.