Re: [opensuse] Sound When VirtualBox Running
Mike Coan wrote:
kai,

When I have VBox (2.0.6 from Sun) running, I get no sound on my KDE
desktop.

For example, if I'm running Vista (for work) and then launch Youtube -

http://www.donutmonster.com/stuff/2009/20090117_sound_vbox.jpg

- then I get no sound on YouTube or anything else in my system. Vista
produces sounds just fine.

What might be going on?

I don't know if my experience tramslates directly, as i am running Windows XP
under VirtualBox 2.1 from Sun. Not Vista and not Virtual Box 2.06, but I had
exactly the same symptoms. Sound fine under the Windows guest but no sound
in
Opensuse 11.1

The fix for me was to change a setting in Virtual Box. Settings -> Audio ->
Host Audi Driver I changed it from pulseaudio to ALSA. Now I have sound on
both host and guest.

At random times I lose sound, but this is fixed by running

rcalsasound restart

as root.

Okay, either switching to 2.1 or changing the sound driver from
nullaudio to ALSA helped. I have sound in both host and guest.

Thanks, all!!

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request