Re: [opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: "Amedee Van Gasse" <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:48:34 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, January 19, 2009 11:00, Dave Plater wrote:
Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
On Mon, January 19, 2009 04:55, Fred A. Miller wrote:

the proper dir. is: /var/cache/zypp/packages

I have that one too, but it's empty.
What do you mean with the word "proper"?

I have both /var/cache/zypper/RPMS and the /var/cache/zypp/packages
directories on my system. /var/cache/zypper/ appeared quite a long time
ago but on inspection it contains copies of rpm's that I have installed
via rpm and not yast or zypper, further more these are rpms that I have
in my local repositories and have not installed from a remote
repository, this is weird and a waste of disk space.

Yes.
This is exactly the same as on my system.

The /var/cache/zypp/packages directory contains all the kept packages
from online installations and zypper clean deletes all of these if used.
I periodically move these packages to my local repos and delete any out
of date ones manualy and also if any of these packages need
reinstallation then libzypp detects that they are present in the cache
and doesn't download them again.

I have not configured zypper to cache packages but what you write sounds
logical.

I would think that the /var/cache/zypper/RPMS directory contents is a
bug from somewhere, possibly rpm or generated from a refresh.
If you haven't got a /var/cache/zypp/ directory you have a problem,

I have it, so I don't have a problem.

try
installing something via zypper or yast and it should appear, it is
where libzypp downloads packages to and if the keeppackages option is
set to 1 the packages are kept in a directory matching the online repo
name in /var/cache/zypp/packages.

Yes, I know.

Thank you for verifying and confirming my findings.

--
Amedee