Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 06:28:14 -0800

The "do lots of stupid, redundant, noisy, obnoxious I/O when
quitting KMail" feature??

There is something that you use and I don't.

I take it you mean that as a conjecture, not a statement of fact.

I have no much hard disk activity on exit.

And I'll bet it's not something the developers have seen, or they'd have
fixed it!

It could be some program that is used by KMail and it is shutting
down when KMail exits. KWallet, spamassasin, something else.

I am now (11.1) using KWallet but was not before (10.0). No spamassasin
or other external programs I'm aware of associated with KMail.

Here:
KMail is standalone, not PIM.
I don't use encryption.
Folders are mostly mailboxes, with few toplevel maildirs.
The accounts are POP3. No IMAP.

Likewise, I don't use any other KDE PIM modules / applications or
encryption. Likewise, apart from the stock "inbox," "outbox," etc., all
my mail "folders" are mbox format. I usually don't let any of them get
bigger than about 5000 messages, which is partly why there are so many
(I archive mailing lists indefinitely and when the primary list folder
gets too big, I move older messages into a sub-folder with a date stamp
in its name).

I just checked with the index of seldom used folders.
Time was updated when I clicked on a folder to read messages, and
again when I went away.

The archive folder with 100,000 messages is some 500MB, and first
read burst is 1 second, which with disk speed 50 MB/s means it reads
50 MB at once, and the rest takes another >30 s, with 2 short bursts
of activity. Looking at file sizes:

513,530,948 main
47,154,361 .main.index
400161 .main.index.ids
5001649 .main.index.sorted

it seems that it doesn't look in 'main', but only indexes.

I believe it has to go to the actual mbox file to get message content to
display and will update it only when mail is added or
removed. "Sorting" just builds a new index, it does not reorder the
messages in the mbox file.

Compacting above folder takes 30 seconds of HD activity, with few
shorter bursts until cursor goes back from busy to arrow. Total time
is about 1'15".

--
Regards, Rajko

Randall Schulz