Re: [opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:00:06 +0200
Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
On Mon, January 19, 2009 04:55, Fred A. Miller wrote:

the proper dir. is: /var/cache/zypp/packages

I have that one too, but it's empty.
What do you mean with the word "proper"?

I have both /var/cache/zypper/RPMS and the /var/cache/zypp/packages
directories on my system. /var/cache/zypper/ appeared quite a long time
ago but on inspection it contains copies of rpm's that I have installed
via rpm and not yast or zypper, further more these are rpms that I have
in my local repositories and have not installed from a remote
repository, this is weird and a waste of disk space.
The /var/cache/zypp/packages directory contains all the kept packages
from online installations and zypper clean deletes all of these if used.
I periodically move these packages to my local repos and delete any out
of date ones manualy and also if any of these packages need
reinstallation then libzypp detects that they are present in the cache
and doesn't download them again.
I would think that the /var/cache/zypper/RPMS directory contents is a
bug from somewhere, possibly rpm or generated from a refresh.
If you haven't got a /var/cache/zypp/ directory you have a problem, try
installing something via zypper or yast and it should appear, it is
where libzypp downloads packages to and if the keeppackages option is
set to 1 the packages are kept in a directory matching the online repo
name in /var/cache/zypp/packages.
Regards
Dave P