Re: [opensuse] Perhaps <OT>: Visual Basic into MONO
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:20:54 +0100
On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 02:34 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Sunday 18 January 2009, M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
about 'Re: [opensuse] Perhaps <OT>: Visual Basic into MONO':
On Thursday 15 January 2009 13:05, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
If you run it against
programs of any complexity you either get code that won't compile
(syntax error) OR you get code that has many more bugs (runtime
errors).

geeze... remember when "computer science" wasn't an oxymoron?

I don't believe it is. Unfortunately, I've yet to deal with a company or
project that applied it to IT support or software development formally and
consistently.

Instead, we get XP and unit tests instead of correct code with known
failure cases.

It should be noted that, to the best of my knowledge, there is no BASIC
dialect with a behavior as well specified as the C or C++ standards.
(Those leave a bit to be desired, too, but are probably the best we have.)

Of course. But in this case, it is MS and their own VBasic product. The
various dialects of VB must surely be understood by MS. Surely they know
the syntax and could import it into the .NET framework.

I am a bit confused by the real issues. VB code (any code, for that
matter), has two relevant properties in this context:

1) the language itself. Is it supported at the syntactic level?

2) system interface. (G)UI, hardware access (keyboards, mice, files)

So, does .NET allow things to be written in VB at all? I know that
languages like C# are preferred. But they are not mandatory. Are they? I
would have guessed that item 2 in the list above is the primary issue.
So if an application has separated the user interface from the
calculations ('pure language' calculations and no user/system I/O),
shouldn't it be 'easy' to get 'pure language' parts into .NET/MONO? As
always, the GUI is the trouble part.

Or are the issues different than this?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

--

"On two occasions I have been asked (by members of Parliament!),
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,

And remember:

It is like talking about a large city with all construction finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.