Re: [opensuse] Why device notifier isn't working
  • From: Herbert Graeber <hgraeber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:16:26 +0100
Anton Aylward schrieb:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 01/18/2009 06:20 PM:

On Sunday, 2009-01-18 at 17:07 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:

root 2976 1 0 17:03 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/ivman

I don't know what I did, othr than install KDE 4.1.3.60+, that might
have caused HAL to lock.

If you are using kde I don't think you should be using ivman :-?

I didn't think so either. We had a thread earlier about ivman and udev.
I thought ivman was replaced by undev, but then the device notifier
didn't work before I installed ivman and did for a while after.

No, udev dos not replace ivman. They are different layers. udev is at
the lowest level, hal builds on top of that. And on the top of that
there is the device managment of the desktop environment (solid+device
notifier for KDE) or ivman for systems without one.
When it was working at least the hal-addon-storage *WAS* polling!

So: Do we need ivman if we have udev: yes/no ??

You do not *need* it. But maybe you want it to do automatically device
mounts and command execution for you, if there is no desktop environment
installed.

Herbert