Re: [opensuse] (OT) which virtual machine that better.
  • From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:30:29 +0800
On Monday 19 January 2009 08:19:15 Jerry Houston wrote:
On Sunday 18 January 2009 15:40:41 Adam Jimerson wrote:
Are there any special tricks or incantations that are needed for Xen,
beyond the obvious?

I found this out the hard way but you better not have a Nvidia card if
you wish to run XEN. The driver will not build under XEN, or at least it
didn't for me the installer complained about me using XEN and told me to
boot into a normal Kernel.

You can quite happily run a Xen kernel with an nVidia graphics card. Using the
proprietary nVidia binary blob as a graphics driver won't work however.

Ah ... that must be my problem. I'm pretty fond of Nvidia because of their
support for Linux. Both the machines I've tried to run Xen on indeed have
Nvidia graphics cards.

I guess I've got a choice to make.

One question must surely be, why do you need 3d graphics on a server system?
If you really must have the proprietary graphics driver installed, then you
might consider looking at KVM as a virtualisation technology.

Jon