Re: [opensuse] (OT) which virtual machine that better.
  • From: Adam Jimerson <vendion@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 18:40:41 -0500
On Sunday 18 January 2009 11:24:18 am Jerry Houston wrote:
On Sunday 18 January 2009 08:03:20 Ciro Iriarte wrote:
If you'll be running just linux, the paravirtual performance from Xen
can't be beated by VMware, VirtualBox is nice for testing, but not for
production, because the VMs die when you close the application.

I'm intrigued with the idea of Xen, but haven't been able to make it work.
On my server at home, I can't get a Xen kernel to boot. On my server at
work (newer and different hardware), I can get it to boot to a console, but
not a GUI, and I can't create a VM. (Both servers are running openSUSE
11.1.)

It's not for lack of proper hardware. The server at home runs a dual-core
AMD 64, and hardware virtualization is turned on in the BIOS options. The
server at work is a quad-core Intel, normally runs Windows Server 2008, and
usually has 4 to 6 Hyper-V virtuals running at any given time.

Are there any special tricks or incantations that are needed for Xen,
beyond the obvious?

I found this out the hard way but you better not have a Nvidia card if you
wish to run XEN. The driver will not build under XEN, or at least it didn't
for me the installer complained about me using XEN and told me to boot into a
normal Kernel.