Re: [opensuse] multibooting 11.1 and windows 7
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:41:38 -0500
On 2009/01/18 14:02 (GMT-0800) Dave composed:

Since my post earlier in the day, I have restored the grub menu at boot by
rewriting the master boot record using the bootloader tool in yast. I can
now boot into 11.1 but not into windows 7. I read posts on the difficulties
of dual booting vista and edited the menu.lst file as suggested in these
posts. The windows section of the menu.lst file now read:

title Windows 7 Ultimate
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

When I attempt to boot to windows from the grub boot menu the screen goes
blank for a few seconds and then returns to the grub boot menu. The only
change being one time it is the green boot menu and the next a winter scene
boot menu.

I have been unable to locate any other suggestions on how to get this up an
running. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

Many times the only problem stems from using more than one partitioning tool
on the disk. I suggest starting with a clean disk, and using one and only one
partitioning tool to completely partition prior to installing anything.

One thing I usually remember to do prior to beginning an install of Windows
is to set its primary active prior to beginning install, to reduce its
inclination to touch any more than it actually needs to during its installation.

Another habit is to always, unless I'm using some primary boot manager other
than Grub, have at least one primary partition for ext2, which I usually use
for /boot of the first Linux installed, but not after. This prevents
well-meaning Linux installers from breaking what I know works, and allows me
to manually boot a Linux with a fouled boot loader, besides chainloading to
Windows.

I've never attempted to install either W7 or Vista, but I do have many many
years of multiboot experience, and >20 machines currently multibooting. I've
been reading several years about foibles of others attempting to get one or
another going, or going again, including Vista, after install of something
else, which resulted in creation of http://fm.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html

I never install Grub to the MBR of a single HD system:
http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs/grub#How_does_a_PC_boot_.2F_How_can_I_set_up_a_working_GRUB.3F

I rarely have problems with partitioning or booting that I didn't create
myself. The only partitioning tool I've used for several years is
non-free.http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/ It has great support:
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/