Re: [opensuse] Determine modification time of remote (http) file
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:13:50 -0600
Quoting Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>:
Jeffrey L. Taylor escribió:
Is there way to determine the last modification time of a file via HTTP?
Specifically, I'd like to not download or parse a very large RSS file (300+
items) if it hasn't changed.

in what language are you coding your RSS reader ? there are plenty of
ways to do that, but the right one is specific to the tools you are using.

anyway, that is done using conditional http requests.

Ruby, specifically Ruby on Rails. Starting with Rails 2.2 conditional GET is
supported from the server side. I'm looking if there is any existing support
for the client side.

Thanks,
Jeffrey