Re: [opensuse] (OT) which virtual machine that better.
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:03:01 -0300
2009/1/18 Jerry Houston <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Sunday 18 January 2009 08:03:20 Ciro Iriarte wrote:

If you'll be running just linux, the paravirtual performance from Xen
can't be beated by VMware, VirtualBox is nice for testing, but not for
production, because the VMs die when you close the application.

I'm intrigued with the idea of Xen, but haven't been able to make it work.
On my server at home, I can't get a Xen kernel to boot. On my server at work
(newer and different hardware), I can get it to boot to a console, but not a
GUI, and I can't create a VM. (Both servers are running openSUSE 11.1.)

It's not for lack of proper hardware. The server at home runs a dual-core
AMD 64, and hardware virtualization is turned on in the BIOS options. The
server at work is a quad-core Intel, normally runs Windows Server 2008, and
usually has 4 to 6 Hyper-V virtuals running at any given time.

Are there any special tricks or incantations that are needed for Xen, beyond
the obvious?

I've only run it on SLES10SP2, and works fine, If you get a fully
functional server at the office but just without a GUI, you can use
X11 redirection with SSH (client> ssh -X server) to launch vm-install
or virt-manager.

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte