Re: [opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:41:26 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-01-18 at 14:13 +0100, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:

I was playing a bit with kdirstat, and I noticed a directory that takes
up a lot of space:
/var/cache/zypper/RPMS
It seems to contain cached versions of rpms that I manually
downloaded&installed, for example VMware server.

I come from Ubuntu, and I still use Debian on my server, so I'm used to
a large package cache. But the Suse way to do things is different, and I
found out that package caching only happens when you explicitly enable
it in /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo. Otherwise the packages are always
downloaded.

What I have not yet found, is the Suse alternative for "aptitude
autoclean" delete only out-of-date package files but keep current ones.

I also would like to delete some of the VMware RPMs, because I have
played a bit with different versions, and they are quite large. How can
I clean up that cache directory? Can I just rm the unwanted files
without any negative repercussions, or what is the official Suse way to
do that?

It's a relatively new feature, but I think you can simply delete the rpms manually. I haven't tried, so I don't know. At worst, you'd have to run "zypper clean --all" later.

Automatic cleaning... there is a configuration file that mighjt have some options for this, would be worth checking.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.