Re: [opensuse] Strange KMail Behavior on 11.1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 06:23:16 -0800

I wonder if simply removing these .index.ids files might cause KMail
to regenerate them and in doing so eliminate this behavior?

Well, I tried this. After removing them and restarting, there was,
unsurprisingly, a lot of I/O at start-up while the .index.ids files
were recreate. Sadly, the original symptom remains. What's more, the
second start-up after removing them causes KMail to appear to go into
an infinite loop. It turns out that KMail is again processing every
mailbox file (mbox format). For me, this took a little over 5 minutes
of 100% CPU. (I thought it was broken, but by repeatedly running lsof
for the KMail process and filtering out those files in my ~/Mail
directory, I could see it was slowly progressing from one mailbox to
another.)

In the end, I'm back where I started, a huge burst of I/O and the
modification times of every single .index.ids file being updated when
KMail quits. This is really quite annoying.

Randall Schulz