Re: [opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:00:22 +1030
On Sunday 18 January 2009 23:43:52 Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
I was playing a bit with kdirstat, and I noticed a directory that takes
up a lot of space:
/var/cache/zypper/RPMS
It seems to contain cached versions of rpms that I manually
downloaded&installed, for example VMware server.

I come from Ubuntu, and I still use Debian on my server, so I'm used to
a large package cache. But the Suse way to do things is different, and I
found out that package caching only happens when you explicitly enable
it in /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo. Otherwise the packages are always
downloaded.

What I have not yet found, is the Suse alternative for "aptitude
autoclean" delete only out-of-date package files but keep current ones.

I also would like to delete some of the VMware RPMs, because I have
played a bit with different versions, and they are quite large. How can
I clean up that cache directory? Can I just rm the unwanted files
without any negative repercussions, or what is the official Suse way to
do that?

Kind regards,
Amedee

From the command line, as root, zypper clean will remove all downloaded rpms.