[opensuse] How to clean up /var/cache/zypper/RPMS ?
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:13:52 +0100
I was playing a bit with kdirstat, and I noticed a directory that takes
up a lot of space:
/var/cache/zypper/RPMS
It seems to contain cached versions of rpms that I manually
downloaded&installed, for example VMware server.

I come from Ubuntu, and I still use Debian on my server, so I'm used to
a large package cache. But the Suse way to do things is different, and I
found out that package caching only happens when you explicitly enable
it in /etc/zypp/repos.d/*.repo. Otherwise the packages are always
downloaded.

What I have not yet found, is the Suse alternative for "aptitude
autoclean" delete only out-of-date package files but keep current ones.

I also would like to delete some of the VMware RPMs, because I have
played a bit with different versions, and they are quite large. How can
I clean up that cache directory? Can I just rm the unwanted files
without any negative repercussions, or what is the official Suse way to
do that?

Kind regards,
Amedee