Re: [opensuse] w00t! Finally - RDP for us Linux geeks!
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:42:02 +1030
On Sunday 18 January 2009 08:17:22 Kai Ponte wrote:
[...]
I compiled, ran checkinstall, and installed the rpm. Sure enough - after
a few config tweaks mentioned in the article - I'm up and running on
RDP: http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/2009/20080116_xrdp_opensuse.jpg

Very cool!

How is the optimization of the protocol? IMO VNC is very
inefficient/bandwidth intensive/slow vs RDP which actually can run
really "smooth."

Does this continue to be the case when the server is a Linux machine?
Or is the opensource implementing "not as good?"

Well, my SOTP reaction is that it is faster and more responsive. I've
just done some testing on my home LAN with my desktop and laptop.

The laptop running VNC was painfully slow.
The laptop running NX was better but not what I'd hope.
The laptop running RDP was very quick.
[...]

I would concur with this. I tried installing from the rpm on OBS but the x
server packages that it depends on conflicted with the version installed on my
machine (and I was doing the installation remotely via ssh). Downloading and
installing from source was painless and worked straight "out-of-the-box"
following the steps listed in the magazine article.

I'm now sending this using KMail (kde4) running in a kde3 session via rdp to
my laptop over a w-lan connection to my desktop (which my wife is currently
using to do some work stuff). I'm also still logged onto the desktop so,
currently running on that machine there are 3 x sessions:
1x kde4 (me logged on locally on vt 7)
1x kde3 (wife logged on locally on vt 8)
1x remote (rdp) kde3 session (me on laptop running mstsc on WinXP).

I actually can't tell the difference in responsiveness between the local and
remote sessions. Impressive.

Where is the wiki page that needs updating? I'll be happy to write up the
steps that I did to install it and get it working if it would help.

Regards,

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx